Thursday, January 01, 2009

Seven Pounds


Despite the bad press for this movie, I thought I would go see it and judge for myself. Well, I guess I will give it more bad press.

This movie almost delivered. Notice the word almost. It would be like expecting a package before Christmas and then not getting it. That is a problem. The overall story is interesting enough, and I see why Will Smith picked it, but still, it fails to deliver. Seven Pounds is (spoiler alert) the story of a guy who has major regrets and seeks to pay a penance for his sins. He does this by giving of himself (literally) to others, specifically 7 others who are truly in need. The audience is left to draw the conclusion that this is what the title means.

The idea itself was intersting, yet you feel little to no sympathy for Smith's character. The entire movie, in fact, the viewer is left to wonder if he is even a good guy. In the end the movie tries to paint a picture of the tragic hero in Smith's character but it falls short. I personally walked away thinking Smith was a doofus and in need of grace, not redemption.

Alas, the film left a dry taste in my mouth and I give the film a dry rice cake with no peanut butter. Boo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up... I usually like almost all of
Will Smith's work...

Anonymous said...

I denounce this blog and all it stands for.
~Parker

Anonymous said...

This blog stands form truth, justice, and the American way! Have you no shame Blogger Parker? Come on, can't we all just get along in the new year. XXXXX Love and peace to all.