Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Wish... But I...

During the summer, I often find myself wondering about other career paths I could take/could have taken. Then I find reason why I shouldn't. Alas, here are my delusional dreams.

1. A Writer



I'd love to write a great story... It would be great fun to twist some plots to my liking. But I have a hard time staying on one plot line...

2. A Lounge Singer



This would be amazing. If only I could sing in a Vegas lounge (preferably wearing a leopard jacket). It would be amazing, except then I'd have to start smoking... at least second hand...

3. A Party Planner



I think I could throw some mean parties. I would love the thrill of setting up a great event. But I'd probably always go over budget...

4. An Actor



I love acting. I think I'd prefer to be a stage actor and I'd love to journey into the world of another person's life for 2-3 hours every evening. But I think I'd be worried about forgetting my lines...

5. A Journalist



I'd love to interview fascinating people about their lives and struggles and report them to the world. But I guess I would have to be daring, and hurt a lot of people's feelings...

6. A Movie Critic



I'd love to be paid to give my opinion (on anything, but primarily) on movies. I would have a hard time sitting through a bunch of crappy movies and making deadlines though...

7. A Cartoonist



I'd love to make remarks and jokes about the world through the ink pen. It would be fun to do. But my hands tend to cramp up when I draw a lot...


Thankfully my job, one of the greatest on the planet, allows me to use all of these career focuses on a regular basis.

Writer- I write a ton, not always my favorite type of writing, but it is writing

Lounge Singer- There are two moments where I sing to my high schoolers: during Animal Farm and Haroun (one is good the other bad)

Party Planner- My 4th period class ALWAYS asked for parties, on a rare occasion I delivered

Actor- My students never know when I am having a bad day

Journalism- My students are always being interviewed by me--though my reports are more like Detentions

Movie Critic- I host the film club where I always give my opinions

Cartoonist- I draw absurd cartoons for my classes

But... Sigh. Every summer. The same delusions run wild through my head.

3 comments:

kari mia way said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That's why I like you so much. My list is exactly the same as yours, except instead of a cartoonist I would be an explorer.

Anonymous said...

Michael, you're all of the above and a great new dad!
RCS

Anonymous said...

Ah, to be or not to be, that is the question and the rub... Best wishes, W. S., Stratford on Avon