Monday, July 14, 2008

Parker, really don't read this one.

So at the start of the month I decided I wanted to read the last Harry Potter book. But rather than reading just the one I thought I would go back and read all 7. Needless to say after reading them I am going to report back on the themes, ideas, and creative-genius that I found in them.

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone


First of all I was brought back to the first time(s) I read this book. Rowling has a delightful way of bringing us into the world of Potter. One of my favorite things she is able to do is bring you directly into the story and create interest which keeps you reading. The first page states, after some amusing description of the Muggle family, "The Dursleys had everything they wanted, but they also had a secret, and their greatest fear was that somebody would discover it." A perfect hook for kids to keep reading--LOVE IT.

Although I clearly remember many of the details she sneaks in the book prior to the reveal, I love the way the smaller things set up future events such as the owl flying overhead with a letter for Dumbledore, the chocolate frog card, Ginny's excitement about seeing Harry for the first and second time, Lord Voldy's ultimate quest to live forever, the theme of death not being the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dumbledore would be-will be-IS Proud... Don't forget to give his best regards to all the specters and other inhabitants of his favorite muggle habitat-The Excaliber while you and the Fauf are celebrating in Vegas! Signed- Retired Officer in Dumbledor's Army
P.S. Have you tried flew powder or apparating instead
of using that muggle airline Allegiant???? The danger,of course, you could end up in Barstow,Yucaipa,or Death Valley........

Anonymous said...

The word for this blog: Unfortunate...