Sunday, July 22, 2007

Movie Reviews and Then Some

Here it is... I haven't had the internet in a long time and, well, I needed it to do my movie reviews that all of you love so much. So here they are:

Transformers
Ratatouille
Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

I have to go in order of when I saw them:

Transformers:

Ok, if I was a high school aged guy this would be the movie for me. Alas, while I am a guy (no comments from you Jon Coulter) I am not in high school, so I thought ti was just average. In all honesty I thought it was an ok movie with more than enough action for the destructo world viewers. But see, that's the problem. We have to view SO much destruction that it doesn't really matter what happens.

In this viewer's opinion there was too much destruction, too much sexuality, and too much language for this movie to be great fun for the whole family. I liked it for high school and young college aged guys but nothing more. Alas, I was a bit disappointed.

A Rice Cake with a smidgen of peanut butter.

Ratatouille


Cute? Sure. Funny? Perhaps at times. Well designed? Absolutely. Honestly this film was a good idea, but lacked the "heart and soul" which many of the Pixar (now) Classics have held. Cars, Toy Story, Bugs' Life, The Incredibles, Nemo... Nope this one didn't really hit home. I liked the characters, but why in the world didn't they have French accents? I can't even figure it out. Well. Anyway, obviously I am too excited to write about the next movie so I will say this movie was:

A Rice Cake with Peanut Butter and a sip of Diet Coke.


Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix

The best HP movie to date. Mark my words. Honestly, I really thought the director did a smashing job. It had great imagery and wonderful art direction. The movie was the best adaptation of the book to date because he captured the big mystery, dilemma, and the heart of Harry. I know, I'm a total Harry Potter nerd, but hear me out.

The first and second movies were good adaptations but there was always a point in the movie where it felt like you were going nowhere, and the film could have been chopped down significantly--remember the whole Spider in the forest part or too long during the chess game part. Yes I loved them too, but in the film they weren't necessary. And the red-herrings were cut out. The third film in retro-spec was a total wreck. I know it was loved the most by mass audiences but really? Come on the whole IMPORTANT back story was totally cut out. I'm still bitter about that. The fourth... Arg. I was just a little pissed about the fourth. Yes, it was the most epic of the 4, but honestly looking at it the director made it cheesy with the horrible music selection and the gritty filming. I liked the last 35 minutes of the movie though... That made the 4th movie jump above the 3rd in my favorites.... But now we have 5...

Beautifully crafted. Well thought out. And totally got to the heart of the book. A political and psychological drama for teens. It was perfect. The additions and substitutions Yates made were perfect. The only thing I would have done differently would be extending the last battle two more minutes. It was intense but seemed trimmed too short. Alas, I have no complaints for this Potter film.

Spaghetti Dinner with a tall glass of Diet Coke.

No comments: