Monday, January 29, 2007

The Last King of Scotland

The Last King of Scotland Review:



So this movie is really great. Hard to take at times, a little scandalous, tragic, but completely worth it. Forest Whitaker was phenomenal as the charismatic Ugandan leader and guess what Mr. Tumnus was in the movie! Yup, James McAvoy was in it.

I personally thought he was awesome. I liked his realistic portrayal of "youthful, partially selfish heroism" that encompasses the mentality of youth. He was believable and honestly I don't know why he didn't get an Oscar nod, nor any nod from any award. I suppose Forest's strength, career, and sweaty brow overshadowed his youth.

Some of the scandalous stuff in the film could have been left out, not the blood and violence, but the sexual stuff and the nudity. I kind of get why they did what they did with all that though... The idea was to show Nicholas as an exposed youth who was brought into Amin's world and enticed by charm and glam, but compromised by absolute power.

I loved the story, loved the character, and had my stomach nearly jump out of me at at least three parts of the film.

Spaghetti Dinner hold the sauce but double me up on the Diet Coke.

No comments: