Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Queen

The Queen Review:

Finally, another movie I have been waiting for over a month to see. So, again, my review may be slanted toward the "eager" and "thrilled" side. And praise God for seeing it with Andrew. My apologies to Parker.

I really enjoyed this movie. I appreciated the writer and director's ability to catch an extreme week in the life of an important person, which then unfolds one's past, present, and future. Beautiful. I would love to see this type of bio-pic, with the same writers, for other notables in history Hitler, Cleopatra, GWB, Nixon, Stalin, so many others.

The casting was superb. I loved Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II. She was a very balanced character and held herself extremely well. I think her role was difficult. Imagine playing a freakin' strong, probably the strongest, monarch from the twentieth and twenty first century. Kudos and prayers for an Oscar Nod to her. I definitely will be doing some research on the Royal Family, seeing as I am a Brit and all. The imagery was pretty sweet in the movie. The setting established a lot of the hidden feelings for the lead character during the movie, so rock on with that.

Overall the movie was very balanced which probably appeased the politicians in England. It didn't show the monarchy in a bad light, nor did it paint a peachy keen picture of the family. It also didn't err on the side of the Blair's camp either. It really gave as much of an objective look as it could.

Acting: Spaghetti Dinner with a Diet Coke
My Personal Bias: Spaghetti Dinner with a Diet Coke
Overall: Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter with 2 Diet Cokes

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Unfortuantely no, I do not have a maid that leaves a mint on my pillow. I do have someone who does my laundry though!! :) Thanks for all your prayers. I appreciate them a lot. I hope all is well in Santa Maria!

Anonymous said...

Your movie revues are really excellent- and right on.
They're like a great four course meal. Thanks.