Monday, February 19, 2007

Letters from Iwo Jima



Well here's how I feel about it. Let me premise this blog with a few statements on my life:

1. I love movies
2. I hate war
3. Foreign Language films really grab my attention

Ok with all this said I have to say I really didn't jive with this film. I know! SHOCK! An Oscar pick Michael didn't care for. Maybe it was the saturated green hues of the movie that made me tired, or perhaps it was the awkward camera angles but I just didn't get into it. I have to say I don't really care for war movies (oh bad memories of Gods and Generals--sorry Swenson family --who, by the way, I just found out may have multiple family members who read this blog.) Well, back to the movie--

It was a pretty interesting concept to look at the war one sided from the Japanese perspective, but I felt it fell a little short of my expectations. Also, I have this theory that Clint Eastwood's life goal is to spread the word that killing yourself is ok to do. He's all about euthanasia and suicide in the line of duty. Oh well, that's how the west was won.

Overall this movie left me wanting more. More of an established rhythm, more bonding, more insights, just more. So why the Oscar? Two reasons 1-the varied perspective on a war we know very well and 2-Clint Eastwood.

My grade: Rice Cakes all alone, no peanut butter and absolutely no Diet Coke.

No comments: