Saturday, February 03, 2007

Notes on a Scandal

Notes on a Scandal Review:



Ok, this movie dealt with some heavy, and dirty, stuff. It was hard to be so challenged when watching the movie because of its gritty stuff it dealt with. The Dame (The Muffin Lady) was really, really freaky and amazing in this film. She captured this evil, depraved, love-starved woman who was obsessive and fragile very well. Almost too well. A little freaky I'd say.

I love Cate Blanchett, but this wasn't her best role. She was good and believable but I have seen her do better work. Quite possibly the three best attributes of the film are as follows:

1. The intense, lovely musical score. This movie was framed in gorgeous, menacing music which complimented the mood and drive in the film. Kudos to the composers.

2. The script was well crafted. The details on "the Scandal" and the flow of the words was, in my opinion, near impeccable.

3. The contrast of the two lead actresses and their disorders. I like the subtle way the director contrasted the two characters but inevitably showed both of their sicknesses. Love it.

Overall, I'd give this movie a Rice Cake with Peanut Butter, due to the grittiness of the film, I'll hold the Diet Coke but enjoy a Granola Bar with the meal.

No comments: