Friday, November 18, 2005

*NEW EDITS* Harry Times

My assessment on the Goblet of Fire.

I wasn’t exactly disappointed with it, nor was I overly thrilled with the film. Here are some of the points for why the film was bad:

*Dumbledore. I’m sure he’s nice, but I just don’t care for his portrayal of the most powerful wizard of all time. He brings him to a human level with his acting, but strips him of his power. Too abrasive, and didn’t show the restraint he needed to. Think meek.

*The director struggled to find a driving plot line that was obvious to the viewer (yeah yeah, we know Barty Crouch Junior is a baddie but we don’t get a sense that something suspicious is really going on at Hogwarts that involves him, there should have been something to establish this. Even something added in with Snape or McGonagal would have added to the feeling of something wicked is happening at Hogwarts)

*There lacked a visual theme through out the movie. In Azkaban Alfonso was able to create these visual images that were so great to push the story along… The theme of flight, the theme of time ticking away, time changing. This movie didn’t do that for me. I suppose there were moments of this with Mad Eye Moody’s physical habits. But no. There was no true visual sign posts.

*The death eaters were too skimpy. They were horrible and terrifying, which was amazing, but they needed more of them to create a feeling of evil that has squirmed through the system undetected.

*Where did the Quidditch World Cup go? We were there and then apperated away.

*The teachers and supporting-characters need to be invested into more. They are such great actors that if they get more time to shape the story I believe people would be happy.



Now for the more positive side on why this film worked for me:

*It’s freakin’ Harry Potter. It can’t be bad.

*I loved the kids acting abilities. Harry really worked it out this time. The moments of agony and pain for him were very believable, and he has grown into his craft. Hermione was really good during and before the first task. She was on edge, and acted like a sophisticated 14 year old girl. It worked… Ron was great in his role, and added some complexity to his role with his temper, and subtle hints of emotion toward the other two.

*Twins = Lots of laughs.

*He who must not be named. Shiver. Perfect.

*Rita Skeeter…. Loved her. She was saucy and annoying as she should be.

*The humor that he was able to interject was wonderful. I like the contrast the director created by setting it in a darker theme with really light touches of humor. Very much like the previous film.

*Emotional quality. Was this the books doing or the directors or the actors? I don’t know. But the end is so believable and well acted that I admit it. I cried twice.


Ok that is part one… I will definitely edit this and add to it later tonight as I will view it for a second time in about 2 hours! Whoo hoo! Post away my friends.


**NEW ADDITIONS***


Ok... I just got back from viewing the film a second time. I like it a lot more the second time. I wasn't disappointed with the missing parts or things that were rearranged, but I still stand by my criticisms. Rock on me (I do want to say that I think the teachers were more worthy than I thought they were--watching again I see where they played a more vital role).

My Grade: Peanut Butter and Rice Cakes with a Diet Coke

2 comments:

Jen said...

I agree with you on the quidditch match. I definitely wanted more because that part was awesome. I cried too. :o(

Anonymous said...

im seeing it again tonight....so im sure i will feel the same as you after your second time michael. I think i had the same criticisms as you........if it was longer and they had room for more it would have been perfect!
=)
time was its enemy id say