Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Movie Time

The Family Stone...

The story is not what everyone was hoping for (but I like the unexpected). It's not the "feel good, laugh along with the creepy guy eating gummy worms next to you, everything ends up great for the nervous couple in the movie" kind of movie. This is a "hard-to-classify-it-better-call-it-a-comedy" movie. It certainly has some REALLY funny moments, but I wouldn't give it a comedy label, I call it a character study.

During the "character study," there were some definite agendas being pushed on the acceptance of diversity ballot. It's a great movie to open discussion on these topics, however the issues weren't really defined or defended well. And based on the fact that millions (if that) went to the movie to see the "comedy", I doubt they're rushing home to talk about worldviews and family. However, I am a rare dung beetle and I appreciated the issues being brought to the table, but where were the resolutions? It's like I wanted to watch a counseling session happen or something--and let's be honest, who wants to watch something like that? I think counseling sessions like the one that would need to take place here normally involve people hitting each other on the head with foam bats or large foam objects shaped like Q-tips. Perhaps this gives you an insight as to my perspective on this movie...

But.. the characters in the family were great because everyone carried some complexity. The boss (otherwise known as the mom), the quiet yet passionate father, the jerk of a sister, the grounded "nuclear family styled" sister, the gay brother, and the single and searching brother. All the characters added a little spice and to me gave a sense of reality to the story. All of the family members brought something to the table, but perhaps, and I say perhaps, there were too many characters crammed into one film that really was ONLY about a mom, 2 sisters, and 2 brothers.

Sarah Jessica was beautiful and delightful as usual. Dermot Mulroney was ok, but his storyline with Clare Danes left something less than desirable. It lacked that zing that makes young girls sigh and grown women desperately long to feel the first taste of young love again. (That may be the stupidest thing I've ever written on my blog. Who am I?)

Overall, The Family Stone gets: A Rice Cake and Peanut Butter with no Diet Coke.

No comments: