Monday, January 09, 2006

Movie Time...

Walk the Line...

I thought this film lacked the luster and appeal that the commercials, trailers, interviews, and media hype had been promising.

The music was good at times, boring in others. But every time that June Carter appeared on the screen you just felt like life was that much better. (Ok... That was my sappy plug to say that I really like Reese Witherspoon) I was indeed impressed with the quality of musical abilities and acting that Joaquin and Reese gave us, but the story (while I'm sure true to his life), strangely just echoed Ray. It's like Ray with out being black or blind. Gee, I don't know if that is politically correct. Oh well, it's true.

I didn't hate the movie, I was simply hoping for something different.

Overall: Rice cakes and peanut butter, hold the Diet Coke.


Syriana...

This was the "Complex, Cognitive Clooney Cinema" experience. I liked it, again (it seems my movie reviews are starting to echo each other), I felt the acting was great... Superior at times, but it was such a complex story line that I wished there was something more to help tidy up the main plot. I really appreciated the look into the monopoly and decay of Big Oil, and at times I was challenged to think more about who is in control by looking at life from another person's perspective.

While this isn't my pick for movie of the year, I really liked being challenged for a change. I get sick of "Johnny Knoxville, moron-athon films" that Hollywood dishes out, so for the complexity of Syriana I send major Kudos to WB, Stephen Gaghan, Clooney, and company.

Overal: Rice cakes and peanut butter with a Diet Coke.... And during moments I smelled some good Spaghetti dinner being cooked.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ok, you see a LOT of movies