Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back to School

So today I prepare for my world of 38 more school days until summer (!!!). It is rather shocking to realize I will be completing my first year at the Charter. I have grown to love it. Pretty much the reason I have grown to love my school is the freedom I have to teach what I find relevant (while still making sure I drill in those main subjects). I thought I'd share with you all my top 8 things I love to teach about.

8. Grammar.

Eww! Yuck! You may say (Oh, and by the way, those are interjections.) Yes, last year I fell in love with teaching the parts of speech. This year I have expanded my teaching to include a broader scope. To date my first and second grade students can diagram sentences and know verbs, nouns, pronouns, proper nouns, adjectives, interjections, conjunctions, and soon they will add adverbs to the list. Oh--and yes, School House Rock has been mighty helpful in cementing the ideas in their brains.

7. Math. All areas of it!

I am personally shocked I love teaching this subject. For those of you who don't know I have constantly struggled with math (see second grade testing from 1988-1989). But since I have started teaching it I've seen my lack of a math brain has helped me become a better teacher. The kids tell me it is their favorite subject which is great because I always try to make it interesting and non-threatening. Woot, woot!

6. Money.

Up until about one month ago I would have told you I did not like teaching this at all. In fact just one month ago I was observed during my introduction lesson (it didn't go so well), but from there I figured out what I needed to do to help kids understand money. We started using magnifying glasses to observe money, then illustrate it, and finally use it to count and "buy" things. It's been way fun.

5. Musical Instruments.

While I am not the worlds greatest instrumentalist, I believe it is important to expose children to a variety of instruments. Every week I try to bring in a new instrument and have the children attempt to play it and understand how it works. It has been fun learning about science through the means of music. We've learned a lot about the way sound travels and how the size of an instrument changes the given tone an instrument can produce. The kids really like it.


4. Artists.

Since I started teaching I have always included an artist study in my work. The students all learn about who the artist was then we study his/her work. We compare and contrast the different elements of the artist's work, then we learn a technique the artist used. After learning the technique we imitate a masterpiece and display them in the room. Some of the artists we study include: Picasso, Matisse, Van Gogh, O'Keefe, Kahlo, Pollock, and many more. Obviously some of these characters have lives that are insane so I give the kids an age appropriate version of their lives.

3. Gardening/Agriculture.

I am not a gardener by practice, however I do consider myself a life long learner, so I have started to take up the hobby. Together my class has planted nasturtiums, scilla, lilies, cosmos, pumpkins, rubber plants, and potatoes. Most have faired well under the direction of this novice gardener. After many hours in the garden my students have gained a sense of time and patience.

2. Drawing.

Teaching kids to draw empowers them. It is amazing to watch kids go from making a crappy (well, its true) stick-figure, to making a beautiful, fully formed person by the end of the year. Teaching kids to approach art in an "I can do it!" way is cool. I'll be holding a seminar for Micah Mason who claims he needs to learn these skills. I invite anyone to come to my class in June when I'll do a week of Cartooning lessons.

1. Holidays.





I know many of you may look at this and scoff. But it is an insanely interesting topic. During the year (especially next year) we study about the different holidays that occur, the history, the traditions, the values, etc. I do a lot of writing assignments and art projects related to the holidays and also connect the day with all aspects of the curriculum. For instance on Valentine's Day in language we write a Valentine to our Parents, we learn in Social Studies about how you can show love to a person (5 Love Languages, baby!), we study the history of who St. Valentine was, we graph candy hearts in math, we read a book about candy, we even take time to look at what the human heart looks like and how we can keep it healthy. See--all areas of the curriculum. Holidays are the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing teacher.

Anonymous said...

I think you're an amazing blogger too.

Fauf