Saturday, April 25, 2009

The New Ig is Old

Yesterday was about things I want to do, but probably won't. So today is about things I want to do and probably will. Every once and awhile I start something new in my life. This month my goal was to start a few new things that I will put forth an effort to keep doing. So here is my list of the top 6 things I have started (or will be starting) this month:

6. Reading a book.

I know this sounds lame, but I am infamous for starting books and putting them down half way through, three chapters in, and yes, even after one page (The Time Traveler's Wife). This month I started the book Ender's Game. Everyone tells me it is really great, so I will try my best to persevere and read it. Besides it will at least give me something to talk about with the Fauf.

5. Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter Clean.

Clean out (meaning throw out) one drawer per month in my classroom. Just like all teachers we hold on to too much junk. I am now at a place where I can see what I need and what I will ignore. At least one day per month I am devoting my day to cleaning one drawer at a time. Often I take a day and do a major clean and dust, but from now on I am devoting my clean to one drawer. In 12 months time I will (or should I say should) have a minimalist's closet.

4. Writing to a pen pal.

I am lousy at having my students remember to write to their pen pals, but I think I can do it. In the 4th Grade I became pen pals with Mrs. E. A woman in Florida who sent me cards for about 3 to 4 years. I was pretty good about writing her, so we'll see if I can master the art of writing with a pen again. So far, one letter is in the mail, so that's good.

3. Meeting with Trainer Bob.

I started this new exercise routine (regimen) where I do this intense Boot Camp work out for about 35 minutes every other day or so. This past week has been ridiculously busy so I only did it twice, but the other weeks I was able to meet at minimum 3 times. I'm working up to meeting 4-5 times a week, but my exhaustion level gets up there.

2. Meeting with Michael Parker.
I feel like I rarely see this uniformed man these days. So I have decided I will do my best to meet with him at least once a week. Tuesday afternoons are reserved for Parker (oh-and Trainer Bob--oh and BTSA once a month--but mostly Parker). I expect this will be a good thing as Parker is a ridiculous friend and a lot of fun to hang out with. In addition he buys presents for the Shaw house frequently, so that makes it double the fun.

1. Walking to church.

I started this the week after Easter Sunday and I really thought it went well. I need to allow a little extra time as it takes a whopping 13 minutes to get there. Now in the past my exercise commitments have floundered slightly (see biking to Hancock, running to Dunlap, biking to Dunlap, etc.). But this one is so short I feel like I can't miss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and the Fair Fauf are wearing me out!
But keep it up before any little doodle-loops
arrive. Then you'll have even longer and even
more outrageous lists to work on.............

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're getting exercise in more ways than one. Walking to church is a good idea as long as you take a small Bible.
Mum

Anonymous said...

That is the best picture of me ever...
~Parker

Anonymous said...

Parker's such a stud.

Anonymous said...

I love the nostalgic theme to all your photos